One thing I like to know about people is how they like bananas. My mom likes them when they’re kind of on the brink of being green, Chris likes them when they’re PERFECTLY yellow, my other friend likes them lightly ripe and I have another friend who likes them as ripe as possible. I personally like them in between green and yellow. I prefer perfectly yellow, but they’re delicious if their edges are tinged green too. My point is, I bought a bunch of bananas and forgot about them–so naturally I had to bake something.
I’m also baking these for the Mental Health Campaign at the University of Ottawa, which has a Mental Health Fair TOMORROW! So you should all come to the Roaming Bake Sale and buy one of these banana cupcakes with honey cinnamon frosting. They’re pretty! And pretty good. Although the icings a little grainy because I ran out of icing sugar. Oops. Still delicious!
I don’t know what it is about Martha Stewart recipes, but they always suck whenever I try them out. This is like that fourth time that the outcome hasn’t been exactly what I wanted. But never fear! I had three test tasters for this food adventure, and all of them agreed that despite the grainy icing, it was still delicious.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax meal + 6 tbsp warm water, let gel for 5 minutes)
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 vegan butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine flax meal and water and mix together. Let gel for 5 minutes before adding to the recipe.
- Sift all dry ingredients together. Make a well in the middle.
- Add all wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated. Do not overmix--this will result in tough, chewy cupcakes.
- Spoon into paper-lined cupcake baking pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke the centre of a cupcake.
- Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, cream the butter and sugar together, add honey and cinnamon and mix until smooth. Spread or pipe over cupcakes.