I’ve had some troubles trying to find the perfect brownie recipe. My issue lately is that I’m starting to hate looking at recipes that use a lot of sugar. Or a lot of butter. I was looking for vegan recipes, but then I came upon this marvellous recipe. BLACK BEAN BROWNIES. I thought, weird, beans in a brownie, why? But then I thought about Vietnamese desserts and how so many desserts use sweetened beans and I thought to myself that the texture would be delicious. Plus beans are waaaay healthier than flour. Hello, pure dietary fibre?
So I went and bought myself a can o’ beans. Black turtle beans, my favourite! If you want to feel extra good about your choices, go buy yourself a can of organic beans. Heck, even the dried ones and take the time to soak them overnight. You will win points for healthiness and relieving the world of one fewer can to recycle.
Did you know that beans are SUPER good for you? Among being really low in fat, they’re an incredible source of protein, dietary fibre, iron, folate, thiamin, potassium, manganese… move over multi-vitamins. Hello beans. I actually have an aversion from taking pills and multi-vitamins. Aside from the daily allergy and regulatory pills I need to take, I avoid taking pills whenever possible. It’s not because I don’t like pills, it’s that I don’t like not knowing exactly what certain pills are doing to my body. Blood-thinning ibuprofen? Oversaturating my body with vitamins, which leads to high toxicity levels because of all the excess vitamins? Noooo thank you. I’d rather just eat the fist-fulls of kale and spinach to get my daily source of vitamins. Oh, and beans.
Makes me think of an old childhood poem I used to read, something about the magical..er… “music” beans inspire your body to make. I won’t be any more explicit than that. =P
But back to the texture of these brownies. When I took one bite, the lovely dark-chocolate flavour intermingled with the smooth, velvety texture and the little flecks of fleur de sel I addedÂ au hasardÂ paired perfectly with the dark chocolate. Feel free to leave out the salt, they’re delicious without the fleur de sel. I just love that extra little twinge of salty flavour when you take a bite. And you don’t have to feel guilty when you eat these. Because there’s only 3 tbsp coconut oil. It’s mostly beans. And chocolate. =P
So I implore you to make these brownies. If you’re going to make something sweet anyway, you might as well make something good for you ^_~
Recipe adapted from Alida’s Kitchen.
For Nutrional facts: go to My Recipe Magic by clicking on this button:Â
Yields 16 one-inch brownies
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- - 1 can black beans (15 oz drained and rinsed, the can was 19 fl oz.)
- - 3 tbsp coconut oil
- - 3 eggs
- - 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- - 1 tsp vanilla
- - 2/3 cup brown sugar
- - 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (divided 1/4 and 1/4)
- - Optional: Fleur de sel to sprinkle on top
- In a food processor or a blender, purÃ©e the black beans, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and 1/4 cup chocolate chips until smooth. If your processor is big enough, add in the eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar and purÃ©e just until smooth (try not to overmix the eggs though). If it's not big enough, transfer to a mixing bowl and mix in the eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Pour into a parchment paper-lined square pan (8x8).
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top and if you like the salty fleur de sel, sprinkle some on top to cut through the dark chocolate flavour.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350F until set. I like to underbake my brownies a bit, but if you don't, bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut, and serve! Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for about a week.
These brownies have been linked up here:
Chef In Training’s Tuesday Talent Show – Pint Sized Baker’s Two-Cup TuesdayÂ -Â Â Lady Behind the Curtain’s Cast Party WednesdayÂ -Â Back for Seconds Social Link PartyÂ -Â Chocolate, Chocolate, and More’s Thursday Treasures Link PartyÂ -Â What’s Cooking Love’s Showcase your Talent ThursdayÂ -Â Becoming Martha’s Keep Calm and Link OnÂ – Six Sister’s Stuff Strut your Stuff Saturday