- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 2 tbsp baking soda, then 1/2 tsp for cooking
- 1/2 cup tahini
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- approx. 1 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 package of pitas
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight with 2 tbsp of baking soda.
- In the morning, rinse the peas again and submerse them in a fresh bath. The peas should be doubled in size by the end of the soaking.
- Skim the loose peels out and then transfer to a pot of water with 1/2 tsp baking soda. Cook until really tender. Regularly skim the top and loose grain shells. You'll see the water change colour and when you pop one in your mouth you'll just feel the grains melt =) This took about 45 minutes over medium heat.
- Drain and transfer to your food processor. Process until pureed, you may need to add some water to help it mix. Add the olive oil, tahini, salt, lemon juice, cumin and garlic cloves. Puree until smooth and delicious. The recipe recommended to make it thinner than you want because it'll dry out really fast.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Rip up pitas to dippable sizes and bake until they're dry and crispy-looking.
- Serve with hummus