Everyone loves fluffy vegan vanilla cupcakes. Because… cupcakes.
I went to Wonderland (an amusement park just north of Toronto) yesterday for my roommate’s youth community band as a driver/photographer and I suddenly felt quite old. Yeah, yeah, you don’t need to tell me. I’m not old. But there’s nothing quite like going on a roller coaster and suddenly feeling quite… well, gross. All the people waiting in line withÂ me outside of my group of friends are at least 5 years younger than I am. With their crop tops, trendy hair cuts, and neon-coloured sunglasses calling each otherÂ Bae and snapchatting selfies to each other… I felt like a dinosaur as I used Facebook messenger and waitedÂ in line with my purple Converse, not too-short short shorts (I saw actual butt cheek yesterday), and long V-neck T-shirt.
It’s an odd transition, leaving school. When I finished my undergrad, I was 22, and I was still considered a “baby” according to my friends in graduate school. Everyone else was older than me so I constantly felt like I was some inexperienced child trying to prove myself and my brains. Now that I’m graduating (my convocation is at the end of June!), I’m entering the “real world” and feeling suddenly very old outside of a work capacity.
At coffee shops.
On the subway.
But I kind of like the feeling. I finally feel like my inner age aligns with my outer age. No time for drama, no time for things not worth my time. I can earn my own money. Make my own decisions. Go to bed when I want to, be it 2 am or 10 pm. Doing things that I want to do because life is short, and if I want to eat cupcakes, I’m going to eat a damn cupcake. Although since I don’t live near a vegan bakery, my options are limited and I need to make a batch of cupcakes myself, even if I only want to eat one.
11/19/2016 EDIT: The old version of this recipe SUCKED. I’ve learned a lot about baking over the last couple years and I have since retested, revamp it and amended in the directions below. They are now much lighter and fluffier :)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 vegan eggs (Ener-G egg replacer or flax egg works)
- 1 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup raspberry puree
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together vegetable oil, sugar, vegan egg mixture, vegar and vanilla extract until combined. Sift in flour, salt, and baking powder, baking soda, and fold in the milk until just combined.
- Divide batter into 12 lined cupcakes moulds OR a lined 9 inch round cake (parchment circle on the bottom, lightly greased sides). Fill cupcake liners only 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke it in the middle (18-20 minutes for cupcakes, 25-30 minutes for cake round).
- Remove from oven and let cool, removing from the cupcake moulds after 1-2 minutes to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the raspberry puree, blend approximately one third of a 1/2 pint box of strawberries. Strain seeds, and set aside.
- Beat the vegetable shortening until creamy. Incorporate icing sugar and raspberry puree until the buttercream is light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag and ice the cooled cupcakes.