I think I have a problem. Every spare moment I have, I think about food. I think about what I can make next. I think about how I’m going to frame my next picture. If I have the right dishes to show it, or the right tools to make it. Do I have the right ingredients? Or can I substitute some of that pumpkin purÃ©e with some of that homemade applesauce I froze? Seriously, it is not conducive to completing a Master’s degree in translation studies, especially when I already have a Master’s in procrastination. But this hot chocolate was on my mind for WEEKS, and it didn’t help when I went to Soupstock and had the amazing hot chocolate there. It was spiced with cayenne, thick and creamy, and warmed me to my toes on that beautiful, crisp fall day.
You know what I love about food?
Food brings us together. It brings strangers together and gives them something to talk about on an awkward blind date. It unites old friends who need to catch up. It calms the chaos of family gatherings. It makes us feel loved and happy. What’s not to love about food?
And drinks! Drinks are the social lubricant…that keeps the “car” running (let’s keep it PG-13). It gives us something to sip on to give us time to think about what to say next. Sometimes, drinks with some alcohol can give us that extra little liquid confidence we need to approach some cutie across the bar. Drinks keep people from being restless and boring at your cousin’s wedding.
But hot chocolate? Hot chocolate is everyone’s favourite food made into a beverage. Something that brings kids and adults together. It’s like liquid happinessâ€”and this hot chocolate is just that. With a little dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top, it makes us just happy to snuggle together and watch some Disney movie with the family, orÂ You’ve Got Mail with your partner.
This stuff is the real deal. It’s thick, creamy, decadent, and rich. You can sip it, drink it in gulps, or dip some buttery shortbread in it. You can spice it up with some cinnamon or add some cayenne for a little kick. And you can add some fluffy marshmallows to bring out the inner kid. Whatever you want to do to this hot chocolate, do it. Just make it!
A super thick, creamy hot chocolate. Perfect for those cold winter nights =)
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (the recipe called for 1 1/2 cup table cream, but I didn't have that)
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- 3 oz of dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I used 70%)
- Just a pinch of salt (to bring out the chocolate flavour)
- Optional: sweetened whipped cream (you can just whip up like 2 tbsp of some whipping cream with a spoonful of icing sugar)
- Optional: a dash of cayenne or cinnamon
- Start by heating the milk, sugar and cream over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with a bit of the milk mixture to create a slurry.
- Once all the cornstarch is absorbed, whisk it into the pot. Keep whisking until it starts to get a little frothy and thick and steamy. There will be some bubbles around the edges.
- Once you see it's thick and frothy, remove from heat and add in the chopped chocolate.
- Whisk constantly until the chocolate is completely melted. Add a touch of salt, and any other spices you want to incorporate. Serve immediately.
- Sip eloquently, or drink in gulps. Your choice =)
And don’t forget the whipped cream.
This post has been linked up on: