I don’t know why red velvet is such a fad right now. Since I only had 2 eggs and a limited amount of flour in my kitchen, I couldn’t make brownies like I had planned to (sorry Karine!). Grocery stores are closed on Victoria Day (boooo). But yes, after looking around for a recipe that only used about 2 cups of flour and less than 2 eggs, I found this recipe! I always found red velvet really really pretty, but this recipe is kind of dark compared to the other red velvet somethings I’ve seen around the internets.
This cookie is basically a red double chocolate chip cookie. There’s a ton of cocoa powder in the batter, plus white chocolate! I love the contrast between the red and white =) GO CANADAAA.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together. Add egg, vanilla and food colouring and mix.
- Add dry ingredients (not the chocolate chips). Mix until incorporated, then add chocolate chips.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (or until the cookies are lightly cracked)
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire sheet.
I want to find a recipe for red velvet cake and make that at one point though. I’m really excited for the red and white contrast in cake form =)