Fresh baked vegan chocolate chip cookies with some almond milk… for your inner cookie monster.
Womp that photo is slightly out of focus. I apologize. I accidentally dropped a cookie in the milk, I panicked and then thought, what the heck. I love to dip my cookies in milk anyway so I took a couple shots on the swimming cookie and forgot to focus on the rest of the cookies. Oh well.
Anyway, last yearÂ when I moved to a self-hosted blog, my first post ever was a recipe forÂ chocolate chip cookies. I’ve made that recipe for years and years. I know it by heart, and they always yield perfect, puffy and chewy cookies. I love the perfect roundness of them, but not the fact that they use dairy and eggs. Now I’ve veganized them to get the same, classic but VEGAN chocolate chip cookies.
The key to getting perfect cookies is to cream the butter and sugar really well. It makes sure that your cookies are consistent and adds some air in your cookies to make them a bit lighter for some extra chew. I originally used brown sugar in my non-vegan recipe, but I don’t have any brown sugar right now. Since brown sugar is just white granulated sugar with molasses mixed back in, I subbed molasses for agave. If you have molasses, I recommend subbing the agave with that for the caramel flavour. But if not, agave works just fine.
I like rolling up my cookies into smooth rounds before I bake them so that there aren’t any rough edges. Under bake them to get extra soft and chewy cookies. Don’t worry if they don’t look done. The more you under bake, the softer they are. I usually wait until I see some cracks before I pull them out of the oven, but either way, they’re good. If you accidentally bake them too long, just store em in an airtight container for the day and they should soften up a bit.
If that doesn’t work, hey. Just dunk ’em in some almond milk.
There you have it: vegan chocolate chip cookies for your inner cookie monster =)
Yields ~36 cookies
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 3/4 white sugar
- 2 tbsp agave nectar or molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg replacers (1 tbsp Ener-G Egg + 1/4 cup water)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- Heaping 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add agave nectar, vanilla extract, and egg replacer and beat until incorporated.
- Sift in baking powder, salt, and flour, and mix until dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips, then roll into 1-inch balls. Space 2 inches apart on lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly cracked and the bottoms are slightly browned. Let cool on wire rack for 2 minutes, remove from sheet and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container, enjoy!