In our house, this vegan egg yolk sauce is called “dippy toast”, and it’s always a breakfast favourite!
One of my favourite breakfasts in my pre-vegan days was eggs over easy with rye toast, bacon, and coffee. I ate so much of this in university, sometimes at all day breakfast places, or sometimes for brunch post university-shenanigans. There are days where I really miss the diner breakfast experience of being slightly hungover and dipping hot buttery toast. So I recreated this (minus the hangover) vegan egg yolk sauce for that dippy toast experience.
How to make a vegan diner breakfast experience
But now I have a toddler so sometimes it really does feel like I have a hangover. The experience is just as rejuvenating as it was in my early 20s. But dipping the yolk was the best part, so now you can have a LOT of vegan egg yolk sauce.
If you’d like to recreate the egg white as well, fry up some medium tofu to get a quick sear on each side, and you’ll get a similar texture! I’ll either make that and drizzle this yolk sauce on top, or I’ll just make my Viet Tofu Scramble to eat on the side for extra protein.
Serve this vegan egg yolk sauce with rye toast, fried tofu, and tempeh bacon with a pot of subpar coffee, and I’m transported back 15 years (oh god has it been that long?!)
Shockingly, one serving of this has 4 g of protein, which in the grand scheme isn’t a lot, but the nutritional yeast in this is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here! It’s not completely void of nutrition, so that’s a plus.
Use black salt (or kala namak) to get that classic eggy flavour, and a dash of turmeric for that bright yellow colour. It’s such a delicious sauce and I sometimes just make it as a snack to have with buttered toast. Both Bean and Eddie are such big fans of this that it’s always a hit for family breakfasts.
Vegan Egg Yolk Sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine/butter
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- a dash of ground black pepper
- 4 pieces of vegan buttered toast to dip!
- In a saucepan, melt 1 tbsp of vegan margarine over medium heat
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 1/2 cup water, 1/8 tsp ground turmeric, 1/8 tsp black salt, and a dash of black pepper and whisk to combine.
- Once the vegan margarine is melted, quickly whisk in the cornstarch mixture and whisk continuously until the mixture thickens. It'll be the consistency of runny egg yolk!
- Pour into a bowl and serve immediately with vegan buttered toast.
I’ve seen a few renditions of this, and I’m always tempted to try it, but… I also think turmeric is an extremely effective way to ruin anything. I’m not going to ask if you can taste it, because people who don’t despise an ingredient never seem to be able to taste it, but I will ask is it necessary? If I don’t care what colour my egg sauce turns out, could I just skip it? I suppose I can try that myself and find out, but I just figured I’d ask if you had any insight?