For a vegan banana chocolate chunk muffin recipe, look no further.
Moist, not too dense,
with a perfect balance of banana to chocolate flavour.Â
Sometimes I think that we as bloggers are like characterizations of our idealized selves. We choose what we share, and we hide the demons from the view of our shiny smartphone and Macbook displays. I try to keep it fairly real on here because I use this blog less like a news broadcast of all things exciting and lovely in my life and more of a documentary of what I’m going through. Self-esteem issues, mental health issues, soul-searching.
I’m on a journey, and I’m choosing to share it with you.
That’s not to say that I’ve chosen to share every little detail of my life with you. I mean, we all need boundaries. You don’t need to know every dirty little secret or personal issue I have. Although I do admit, sometimes I read other blogs because they overshare because it’s just more interesting than THEY’RE THE BEST MUFFINS I’VE EVER MADE, I PUFFY PINK HEART THESE MUFFINS!!11oneone!11!! *shudder* Far too much joy for my liking. Just say you love the muffins okay? Â I mean, I love food, but come on. They’re muffins.
I think over the last year or so, I’ve really started to find “my voice”, which is just writing the way I talk. Actually in real life, I lose focus and go on tangents much more frequently than I do on the blog, but that’s what happens when you have the option of backspacing and editing. Yay for technology. But my voice is honestly just me talking about my life and food. That’s all I know, so that’s all I’ll talk about.
So I know that I’m thankful for 2014. It’s been a rough year, and I’ve had a lot of successes and failures, but for the most part, it’s been good. This is my last recipe post of the year, but I still have a Best of 2014 post to come.
In the meantime, use any of those overripe bananas with this vegan banana chocolate chunk muffin recipe. Flax meal makes baked goods super fluffy and delicious, and the banana makes them flavourful and soft! None of this dry, sandpaper business, these muffins are like taking a bit of a pillowy banana cloud.
- 1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 medium-large bananas, well-mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350ÂºF.
- In a large bowl, combine flax meal and water. Let stand until thickened.
- Add vegetable oil, sugar, mashed bananas and vanilla extract, and mix until incorporated.
- Sift in baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and flour. Stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Divide batter between a lined muffin tin. Bake for 13-15 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when poked through the middle. The edges should be golden and top domed. Remove from tin within a few minutes and let cool on a wire rack.