Adapted from Cinnamon Girl (Reeni)’s Green Monster Soup
- 2/3 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup + 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 5 gloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp curry powder (man I love this stuff)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 cups of the leaves, stalks discarded)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach (I'd say about 3-4 cups)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Optional: nutritional yeast flakes for garnish
- 1. In a pot, cook quinoa with 1 cup vegetable broth over medium low heat (I had it on 4) for about 25 minutes, covered. Don't peek! Once cooked, remove lid and fluff with fork. Set aside.
- 2. Cook onions for about 3 minutes in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until the onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- 3. Add 4 cups vegetable broth and stir occasionally until you reach a boil.
- 4. Add kale and flatten down leaves until they start to wilt (about 2 minutes)
- 5. Quickly add spinach and stir up the kale so spinach is in the water. (about 1 minute)
- 6. Remove from heat.
- 7. Add cooked quinoa and blend (with either immersion blender or in an actual blender) until smooth. Add lemon juice and stir.
- 8. Garnish with nutritional flakes and eat!