These vegan waffles are fluffy on the inside but crisp on the outside! They are the perfect, light vessel for sweet and savoury waffle dishes. Add your favourite fruit, vegan whipped cream, powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup, or switch it up to a savoury vegan chicken and waffles by adding a bit of cinnamon and cayenne to your syrup to drizzle over some crisp vegan fried seitan or tofu.
Recipe adapted from Art of Dessert
Yields 6 waffles
A vegan waffle recipe for 2, or a very hungry individual. Flax seeds add extra fibre while acting as the egg in the recipe. Double the recipe for 4, or if you want extras to freeze for another day.
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- 1 Tbsp neutral flavoured vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
- 1 cup (140 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup soy milk (any milk alternative would work here)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- To serve:
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
- Vegan whipped cream
- Fruit of your choice
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Mix flax meal and warm water and let sit for about 2 minutes until it's thickened. Add in coconut oil and mix.
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, almond milk, vanilla extract and whisk together until no lumps remain.
- Pour into waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar with some fruit and maple syrup!