Vegan pumpkin penne is the ultimate fall comfort dish;
Super easy dinner to whip up and tastes delicious :)
Lately I’ve been seeing all of my blogger friends pop up with cookbooks and I am so proud and thrilled that my friend Sam from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken has released her incredible cookbook, Fuss-Free Vegan! So to help spread the world, we decided to share this teaser recipe with you to enjoy, featuring the one and only, PUMPKIN! This pumpkin penne is incredibly simple and packed full of fall flavour, especially if you incorporate the fried sage chips!
There’s something just so wonderful about cookbooks: they make amazing gifts, they’re wonderful to leaf through (I live for pictures of food, obviously), there are so many different cooking methods to learn from and try, and it’s a great way to share vegan recipes without shoving the message down people’s throats. It gives people the opportunity to see how easy, delicious, and…well, fuss-free veganism can be! Sam’s approach to veganism is very much like my own: keeping it simple, tasty, and comforting!
So if you like my recipes, chances are you’ll love hers :)
Check out the video we did together to show you how easy her recipes are, and enjoy the shenanigans =P
- 1 lb penne or other short pasta (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- Small handful of fresh sage
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) pumpkin purée
- (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and fry the sage until darkened and edges look crispy. Remove from pan and let drain to crisp up on a paper towel.
- In the same saucepan, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion has softened and is beginning to brown.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta to the sauce. Toss well to coat, and serve with the fried sage on top!
Excerpted from Fuss Free Vegan: 101 Everyday Comfort Food Favorites, Veganized by Sam Turnbull. Copyright © 2017 Samantha Turnbull. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
FTC: This post isn’t sponsored, but I did use Amazon Affiliate links above, which doesn’t change the pricing or anything for you, it just helps support me if you decide to buy anything after clicking the link =P