I love green beans, but I’m super picky about them. I’ve had gross overcooked mushy green beans… you know. The ones that aren’t even green anymore? They’re like a dead…mushy green colour that’s so unappetizing. I don’t know how people ever eat it. I like my green beans bright and crunchy. It’s my favourite colour: blanched greens. They all get this bright and beautiful. Broccoli, kale, spinach, green peppers, and green beans. Mmm. Plus, with a little creamy kick, these tahini garlic green beans are a great, quick side dish that pop with colour and flavour.
I don’t know what it is about the winter, but I crave the crunch of fresh fruits veggies. The snap of a carrot. TheÂ pop of fresh cherry tomatoes. The juicy sweet bite of an apple. Is your mouth watering yet?
The only thing about fresh veggies is that they’re not typical fare for blistery winter months. These days people crave stews, casseroles, soups… although weirdly enough, the fresh veggies are always what call to me this time of the year. These tahini garlic green beans are great for a little warm freshness even in the winter weather.
Stay tuned for more traditional winter foods! They’ll be coming later this week =)
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and washed
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch dried chili flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- First blanch the green beans by boiling them until they turn a bright green (about 1 minute) then shock with a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard, tahini, nutritional yeast, water, garlic powder, chili flakes, and sea salt until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Preheat a large pan over medium with the olive oil and coconut oil. Add the green beans and drizzle the sauce on top. Quickly stir and mix beans until they're coated, cook until the beans are hot and remove from pan immediately (you should be sautÃ©ing them for 3-5 minutes or else they'll get overcooked and soggy).
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!