- 150g icing sugar
- 150g hazelnut meal (processed whole hazelnuts)
- 150g granulated sugar, + 35g for the meringue
- 120g egg whites (divided 60g and 60g)
- 50g water
- 1 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Process the hazelnuts with the icing sugar. Sift to make sure they're small enough, and re-process until you only have about 2 tbsps of bigger chunks.
- Mix the hazelnut meal with 60g egg whites.
- Whip 60g of the egg whites with 35g of sugar until you get between the soft and stiff peak stage.
- Heat 150g of granulated sugar with 50g of water until 230F. Do not stir. Slowly pour the sugar syrup into the still-mixing meringue and whip until you reach stiff peak, or until the meringue gathers into the middle of your whisk when you pull it out.
- Mix a dollop of the meringue into the hazelnut mixture to loosen the mix. Then fold the rest of the meringue in until you get a lava-like texture. The batter will sink back together within 20-30 seconds.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a Wilton 12 round tip and pipe 1 1/2 inch circles onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the domes only wiggle a tiny bit when you touch them in the oven.
- Let cool on a wire rack for about 2 minutes, then gently peel the shells from the parchment paper. Fill with a dollop of Nutella and gently sandwich similar-sized shells together to get a delicious sandwich of deliciousness.
I love the flecks of brown from the hazelnuts in the shells. So pretty! Nutella is so gooey, but it is the perfect amount of hazelnut sandwiched between this hazelnut sandwich.